It’s been a month now since we have been sheltering at home. I know it’s not fun, but good nutrition and self-care need to be a priority now as it is your way to strengthen your immunity.
I get it if your stress is higher than normal, but if you are resorting to stress-eating or binge watching You tube or Netflix this won’t help. There are certainly much better ways to deal with your stress.
Eating a nutritious diet and wholesome diet, sleeping enough hours, practicing deep breathing and doing yoga stretches can tremendously help.
Our immune system is already fighting hard for us in every moment to protect us from cancerous growths and all sorts of microbes. We just need to give it some love and care so that it can work for us in the best possible way.
Today I want to share with you 7 essential nutrients that you immune system loves.
7 Essential Nutrients That Your Immune System Loves
These are just a few suggestions of foods that that can support your immune system:
- Essential Fatty Acids: Found in chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, cold-water fish such as salmon, eggs, raw nuts and seeds
- Vitamin A-Rich Foods: Eggs, cod liver oil, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, spinach and other green leafy vegetables
- Vitamin C–Rich Foods: Citrus fruits, carrots, kiwi, bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries and other berries, broccoli, cabbage
- Vitamin E-Rich Foods: Olive oil, avocados, sunflower seeds, walnuts, salmon, turnip greens, mangoes
- Vitamin D-Rich Foods: Cod liver oil, salmon, mushrooms, eggs
- Zinc-Rich Foods: Meats, lentils and legumes, vegetables, oysters, sesame seeds, cashews and other nuts, legumes, raw cocoa
- Selenium- rich foods: Brazil nuts, salmon, turkey, chicken, mushrooms, eggs, navy beans, sardines.
Ideally you would choose to buy organic to lower your exposure to toxic chemicals and pesticides that can weaken your immune system. But do your best and if you can’t find or afford organic food, make sure to scrub and soak your produce in a fruit and veggie wash using the recipe below.
DIY Fruit and Veggie Wash
This wash can help reduce chemical residue on your produce especially if not buying organic. It’s also very important nowadays with the current pandemic in order to kill any germs and microbes.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Hydrogen peroxide solution 3%
Soak produce for 5-10 minutes and then rinse with water.
Back to You
This is only one way of supporting your immune system. I will be sharing more ways for boosting immunity in the coming posts, so stay tuned!
And now that you know about these nutrients, I hope that you start incorporating these foods in your diet on regular basis. And remember that variety is always better when it comes to your diet.
We are currently offering tele-coaching via phone or Zoom. So if you need help with your health and nutrition, contact our nutritionist Maha Nasr at 416 876 4634 to book an appointment or sign up for a Clarity Session to discuss your concerns and how we can help.
Stay strong! Stay Safe! Stay Healthy!