A big plate of salad is an essential part of a healthy diet. It boasts an extraordinary number of health giving properties. Brightly colored vegetables provide a big dose of disease fighting nutrients for very few calories. Quinoa, an ancient super grain has more protein than any other grain. Quinoa is also a gluen free grain.
Quinoa broccoli salad (Gluten Free/Vegetarian)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets (lightly steamed)
- 1 ½ cups green peppers (chopped)
- 1 ¼ cups grape tomatoes (diced)
- ½ cup fresh basil (or other green leaves as watercress, romaine lettuce or mixed baby greens)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- Other vegetables (carrot slices, raddish slices, snow peas) (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Grated lemon zest (optional)
- Rinse quinoa several times and place in a medium sized sauce pan, adding water and salt. Bring to a boil on high, cover and reduce heat to low for15-20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Set aside and let cool.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients.
- Place prepared vegetables in a large salad bowl and add cooled quinoa. Top with dressing.
Quinoa is a unique grain because its protein is considered complete, providing all essential amino acids (especially important for vegans). It is an excellent source of various minerals including iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and zinc, and it provides fiber. Phytonutrients called saponins in quinoa have anticancer and anti inflammatory properties and may inhibit cholesterol absorption too.
Broccoli has cancer fighting compounds, as well as fiber, beta carotene (a powerful antioxidant), folic acid (a B vitamin needed in high amounts before and during pregnancy) and calcium (to prevent osteoporosis). Research has shown that people who eat broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables regularly have a significantly reduced incidence of cancer.
Green peppers are a very good source of vitamin C and vitamin A. Both are important antioxidants to boost our immune system and protect us from cell damage and inflammation.
Green onions contain phytonutrients that fight inflammation. Quercetin in onions has anti-allergy and cancer fighting properties. Onions helps lower blood cholesterol and reduce blood clotting which may protect from heart attacks and strokes.
If you need help with your health and nutrition, CALL Healthy U Turn at 416 876 4634 to book an appointment OR Sign up for a FREE Clarity Session with holistic nutritionist in oakvillle, Dr Maha Nasr to discuss your health concerns and learn more about how we can help.